Friday, March 11, 2011

The Other Side of the Painting

Recently I have been wondering whether I have been listening to the voice of God or the voice of reason.  Some would argue that they are one and the same.  I beg to differ. 

This evening, in order to clear my head, I decided to take my sweet dog on a walk.  It just happened to be dark and cold out, my favorite time of day.  We walked to her favorite field near our house.  I took this quiet time to pray.  I felt God nudging me to look up.

Wow.  


“… I consider your heavens,
   the work of your fingers,
the moon and the stars,
   which you have set in place,”
Psalm 8:3


I stepped back to take it all in. The beauty above me was indescribable.  


I saw the heavens above me, and I thought of the recent study I completed about Michelangelo’s painting of the Sistine chapel.  It took Michelangelo years to paint the creation of the world. God created it with his voice. He breathed the stars and moon into existence.  There is no comparison. 


Michelangelo did not want to paint the ceiling, because, as a sculptor, he reasoned that he would be remembered for his great sculptures.  Contrary to Michelangelo's reasoning, the painting on the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel is one of his best known works.  The voice of reason would like to tell me that the God of the universe would never take the time to care about each of my decisions, whether it be what I do when I get up or who I choose to spend my time with.  But, the verse above continues-

“What is mankind that you are mindful of them,
   human beings that you care for them?”
Psalm 8:4


The God who breathed the universe into existence loves me.  He loves me enough to care about each decision that I make.  He loved me enough to defy all human logic when He humbly come to earth.
 
Our God is not a god of reason and logic.  Our God is the Creator of the universe, and He cares for me. He cares for you.  

He left His heavenly throne to come to earth and die a shameful and horrible death.  He did this so we might have a relationship with Him while on earth and so we may live to glorify Him forever and ever. 

This is a message that I have heard over and over, but it hit me hard tonight when I looked up and saw his handiwork displayed before me.

If you do not have a personal relationship with the God that created you, I want you to know that is something that He has offered you.  He wants to be your best friend.  It doesn’t matter if you don’t understand everything, you never will, at least on this side of heaven.   All you have to do is recognize that you do bad things, those are called sin, And confess (agree with God) that your sin separates you from Him, and repent (do a 180).  He will forgive your sins and welcome you into His forever family.  

         Who knows?
                         Someday you may even get to see the other side of the painting.

No comments:

Post a Comment